On Friday, May 21, 2021, the Korean War Veterans Memorial Foundation (KWVMF) hosted the Korean War Veterans Memorial Wall of Remembrance Groundbreaking Ceremony & Broadcast.
The Korean War Veterans Memorial Wall of Remembrance is a long-planned addition to the existing Korean War Veterans Memorial and will display the names of the U.S. military and Korean Augmentation to the United States Army personnel who gave their lives defending South Korea’s people from aggression and ensuring their freedom. The construction of the Wall of Remembrance is a cooperative undertaking of the Korean War Veterans Memorial Foundation and the National Park Service, which has responsibility for the management and care of the memorial.
The opening segment of the virtual broadcast include live and pre-taped interviews with Korean War Veterans, dignitary welcome messages, and a history of the Memorial and the Wall of Remembrance.
Speakers and dignitaries in attendance:
- General (Ret.) John H Tilelli, Jr., U.S. Retired, Chairman of the Korean War Veterans Memorial Foundation, (Host)
- President Moon Jae-in, Republic of Korea
- The Honorable Lee Soo-Hyuc, Republic of Korea Ambassador to the United States of America
- Governor Larry Hogan & First Lady Yumi Hogan, State of Maryland
- The Honorable Lloyd J. Austin III, Secretary of Defense, United States of America
- The Honorable Hwang Ki-chul, Minister to Ministry of Patriot and Veterans Affairs, Republic of Korea
- Mr. Kelly K. Mckeague, Director, Department of Defense POW/MIA’s Accountability Agency, United States of America
- Ms. Shannon Estenoz, Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary of Fish, Wildlife and National Parks, U.S. Department of the Interior